Friday, January 18, 2013

NHL - Do I Care

After a lengthy lockout that lasted from September to early January, the NHL will kick off a shorter regular season tomorrow.  Ever since I was a youngster, I have watched and looked forward to a new NHL season.  In those early years, I couldn't wait to watch Wayne Gretzky and the Edmonton Oilers try to win yet another Stanley Cup.

As you get older and assume more responsibility, you get more protective of your free time.  The media kept suggesting in the summer, "if the NHL and NHL Players don't get a deal done early this time, they risk an apathetic response from lifelong fans that would be very dangerous."

I thought, c'mon, hockey fans will always come back in Canada.

So, here I am on the eve of the new NHL hockey season, and I realize that hockey will not be a priority for me tomorrow.  I may watch, I may not.  Can you believe it, I have become apathetic.

Was the lockout worth it for the league and players, only time will tell?

I am very happy that those people who work at the rink and sell the popcorn will have their jobs back.


Oh, for old times sake, look at this video of Glen Anderson of the Edmonton Oilers scoring a goal to help the team with the Stanley Cup.  If you don't want to watch the entire video, start watching from 5:12.  Do you think fans will get that excited this year about hockey?

No comments:

Post a Comment