Friday, July 4, 2014

Time

As parents we can spend much of our time thinking about cars, houses, schools, work, vacations, kids clubs, music lessons, church, and the list goes on and on.  You don't have to listen to shows like Focus On The Family for very long to realize that time is everything when it comes to family.  Perhaps you just rolled your eyes like so many of us do and decide to get back to doing what needs to be done.

Yesterday I saw a teaser for a show on the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) called, Kidnapped By The Kids.  The premise is to have kids show up at their parent's workplace, and demand more time.  I'm not sure if the show is still around, but this trailer will help you understand it what it is about.


I know. People will do anything to be on tv, but I was humbled the other night while watching a kids's show with my son Aiden.  He is three.  As we were watching, he wanted to point something out at the exact same time as I received a text message on my phone.  Of course, my initial reaction was to look at my phone first to see if the message was important.  After reading the text I looked up and noticed Aiden looking directly at me.  He said, "Dad, are you watching?"  I know it is just a tv show, but I made the choice to look at a text message over time with my son.

I get it,  kids need to learn that sometimes we need to tend to important things.  But, it made me wonder, how often do I miss an opportunity with Aiden so I can look at my phone or check my email/Facebook?   This morning I was filling in for Tim & Todd on The All New Breakfast Club and played this song.  It is always a good remember to keep our priorities in order.


No comments:

Post a Comment