Friday, June 5, 2015

Weeds

We received a very unwelcome visitor earlier this week.  Whenever a child is napping, parents can relate, doorbell rings and knocks are unwelcome...especially if it is someone trying to sell you something.  This is what happened to me.  Not only did he want to aerate my lawn, but he insulted it too by saying, "obviously you have a huge weed problem here."

Of course he was right, There are a lot of weeds in my lawn, but it isn't easy to hear the truth. The bottom line is if the lawn continues to be taken over by weeds, the grass doesn't have a chance of being the talk of the neighborhood (I wonder if he even knocks on the doors of the people with a luscious lawn?).

For some reason, God was teaching me something at that moment.  I was thinking about Psalm 26:2



Our lives are a lot like grass.  Yep, I said it...and this will sound cheesy...but it's true.  Jesus is the living water (John 4:13-14) and the Bible is our fertilizer,  But like like the grass, something can take over and mess up our lawn if we let it...weeds.  I guess you could say that sin are our spiritual weeds.  Sin is what gets in the way of God's true purpose in our lives.    Be careful, it often starts with one weed, then two, and so on.  Don't let the weeds (sin) get a foothold in your life.  Keep your eyes and focus on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment